Friday, October 1, 2010

A Good Ending

The beginning of this week was rough. Some things were out of order and I didn't know how to make everyone happy. (At the same time I kept thinking that it's not really possible to make everyone happy, right? Especially when there are over 450 people involved, some with more say than others.) Anyway, prayer is the first step in any truly successful plan, so I prayed and prayed and prayed some more and will continue to pray (you get the picture).

Only a few minutes after the roughness erupted, a plan was put into place (see 1st step) and almost immediately the second step and successive steps began to follow suit, whew! There were a couple of rough days, but through the praying, scripture reading, more praying, and thinking, thinking, thinking about solutions or at least a practical compromise, by yesterday, things were working out well again and we were back on our way! I keep reminding myself that I've only been teaching for three weeks! Three weeks! That's not very long. I don't have to have all the answers right now, right? I'm not perfect and no one else is either. Therefore, I must continue to love them and see them as He seems them, along with doing my best to be prepared.

Given these two main thoughts, inspiration as to what else to do tends to follow shortly behind. I've been contiuously amazed at how quickly the inspiration comes and am incredibly grateful that I'm being guided in this journey. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what I am supposed to be doing right now, even though I'm not sure why or for what ultimate purpose. Those reasons will present themselves when the time comes. I am also grateful to have this opportunity to work with the students and to teach art (and some music) at this time. This job is amazingly perfect, even with its quirks.

I was recounting my specific requirements for the perfect (paid) job I wanted the other day. Sometimes I've been told that I'm too picky, but it worked out with this, so I'm still holding fast to my faith that other opportunities will work out as perfectly...

Job requirements:

1. Alpine School District (and near my house - the district is huge! The district pays more than charter or private and allows me to gain access to a Level II teaching license easier than other opportunities would allow.)
2. Class size of 25 max
3. Title 1
4. Specialty class - particularly art
5. Part-time (I prefer to ease into things)
6. The hours will work into keeping my high school position (I really like my HS job, even though the pay isn't as good as a contracted position)
7. At least a .5 (half-time) contract (important for keeping my license and gaining a level II license, plus it gives me nice benefits like sick leave and health insurance!)

ALL of these requirements were fulfilled. The cons are that it took over a year to gain employment and over 250 applications. But, in the end, I was blessed with exactly what I asked for!

P.S. Today, I created a curriculum map for the rest of the year! For all seven grades! And, 21 classes! All I need to do now is create the individual lessons per grade and the slides/finish the school art blog and I will be set! Isn't that amazing? I'm amazed!