Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday

When I got to work this morning, I found a large tarp covering the carpeted area of the classroom, yeah! This is to help keep the floor clean while the students and I make a big, huge mess with ceramic clay, etc. On Fridays, I only teach three classes of Kindergartners (versus 6 classes/day M-Th). When they first came in, some of them wanted to know what was on the floor. Others said something about the floor looking like they were walking on water. I don't remember what my reply was, but something about helping to keep the floor clean. We made pinch pots with the clay. This is rather difficult for some of them to do, but they all at least tried.

I've been rather surprised at some students reactions (not just Kindergartners) to having dirty hands and wanting to constantly wash them. My answer is always, "not until the end. Play with the clay for __ more minutes." (I'm so mean to make them get "dirty"!) Then I tell them that some people use it on their faces to clean their skin. That usually gets a disgusted look or sound, lol!

After classes, I figured out who will do each part of this unit on what day. It surprised me that that will only be finished after the first and possibly the second week of December. I thought we'd be done by the end of November. That works out rather well though since whatever they make at the end will be what they eventually take home and it will need about two weeks to dry (winter break!).

Then, in January, we'll start our next unit, or we'll work on a bunch of principles and elements lessons until the pieces are ready to be glazed. This may work out better. It also gives me some time to work out the details of getting the supplies we need for the printmaking and papermaking unit. Donations are always welcome:

1. recycled paper in mutiple colors (stuff you'd normally through away).
2. sheer curtains (9 panels - any color)
3. fabric ink/paint (multiple colors)
4. embroidery hoops (at least 50 small ones - 4"-6" diameter)
5. mod podge (9 large bottles)