Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Talk with a Frustrated Student

Today, I moved Red* to table Orange from table Blue in order to keep a better eye on Red and to help Red succeed in completing our project. Green was most unhappy and frustrated with this new development. After Red was said to have kicked Green under the table, Green was ready to leave the class. (Red didn't kick him hard, he just likes to irritate those around him, isn't that nice?) Anyway, I didn't want Green to leave and had placed Red at this table for good reason, so, I told Green the following:

"Green, I've been so impressed lately with how you have come into class, you immediately take a seat, and you are ready to go (side note: it wasn't always this way - more like our friend Red actually). I'm hoping that by putting Red at your table that Red might learn from your good example."

"No, Red won't!"

"Oh, I think he will, so move to the other seat (there are only three students at this table right now) so he can't kick you and we'll see."

Apparently this ended up being a good change, since Red actually raised Red's hand prior to commenting/questioning/answering a question (at least twice instead of shouting out as usual)! This is a vast improvement. For now, I will attribute this new and improved behavior to sitting with Green. Hopefully Green won't mind too much if Red stays for awhile (like the rest of the school year?)...

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent. We are studying complementary colors and they work so well with this situation too, lol!