1. That when students are allowed to be more independent in the classroom, they are not sure what to do.
2. I need to tell them that they can whisper to their neighbors if they want to talk! The talking is a bit loud from time to time and makes it more difficult to get their attention.
3. When talking is prohibited for a short amount of time (i.e.walking down the hall), have the students put a "marshmallow" (fake) into their mouths. It works quite well!
4. Play, "I spy the student who is ___ (i.e. following directions, standing in line properly, etc.)" Then let that student pick someone else, etc.
5. Thirty minutes is really, really short!
Ish by Peter Reynolds was an especially big hit with the last class of first graders. One little girl handed me her portfolio with a big smile and said, "I'm an artist!" Too cute!
One of the second grade teachers said that she's been teaching for 23 years and still feels like she's floundering for the first month of school. That makes me feel much better! Tomorrow I have the 4, 5, and 6 graders.
I still need to review the PDF I made for drawing class #2 and shorten it. Also, I need to figure out the music classes this week.