Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 3

Now I've had all of the grades, although not all of the classes in each grade! Things are moving along and I continue to learn as I go. Yesterday, I decided to change the room around a little more and now have 3 large tables with 8-9 students/table. This morning I made the change and like it a lot so far. Perhaps tomorrow I'll take pics of the new room set up.

Each class was read, Ish by Peter Reynolds (even the upper grade classes as I told them it was one of my favorites). Ish is our class motto. It's OK that we aren't amazing artists yet as long as we are doing our best and being creative. They are happy with this idea and like that they are grading themselves. Grades will also be based on how much effort and creativity was put into their artwork and not how perfect the art is. I'm also definitely improving on how I explain things and in teaching procedures.

Procedures:
During instruction time, the teacher is talking and the students are listening. If the students want to talk, they are to raise their hands and wait to be called on. No drinks, bathroom breaks, or getting up to wander the room during instruction time. (I need to remember to have the class coming from PE get drinks before we start instruction time!)

If you did not pay attention during instruction time and now don't know what to do, ask a classmate. (I want them to learn to listen and to rely on one another for help, instead of always asking the teacher. Hopefully, this will help them to be more independent and resourceful in a positive way. This is especially true since I've been going over the directions for the projects 3-5 times (telling them and then quizzing them) before sending them on their way.)


I decided after yesterday, that the students may whisper to each other at the tables, with a clause that states that I should not hear any individual voices. This worked out pretty well, but will take some work (they aren't used to being allowed to talk).

Also, I told them that during work-time they are expected to be more independent. Ask classmates for help, then ask me. In addition, if they need a drink, need to wash their hands, need a tissue, etc. around the room, then they don't need to ask, they can simply get up and take care of things. If they want my help, then they can come ask me. (I wander between the three tables, so that should be pretty easy).

A Rough Start:

The first sixth grade class (there were two classes) had a rough start, but it was quelled quickly! They were informed that the bad attitudes and behaviors were reserved for the little ones and would not be tolerated in a sixth grader. (I realize that this is actually normal for sixth graders, but they still need to work on appropriate classroom behavior.) I immediately taught them expected behavior. They have all agreed to the classroom rules of:

1. When the teacher is talking, they are listening and absorbing what they are taught. This means that they are silent and if they want to talk then they raise their hands just like in all their other classes.
2. They may sit at any table with anyone as long as they are working on their project and acting appropriately. If they are found to be in violation of this rule, they will be moved.
3. They may talk to each other in a whisper while working, as long as they are working. Personally, I think art should be somewhat social, but if they can't handle whispering and working properly, then we will just be silent.
4. Lastly, they will not yell (a few had been yelling at the beginning) and I will not yell (not that I planned on it, just that I'm promising not to yell either). (There were a few solemn head nods after that.)

After this introduction, they all did quite well for the remainder of the time, and we had a pleasant time together.

Silly Ending:
I have now officially taught all grade levels, although it may be awhile before I decide which is my preferable grade. Some of the older students had to be convinced that I'm really their teacher or A teacher for that matter. They kept asking if I was a sub. I didn't figure out why, but they now know that I have a BA in Art History and a Master's in Education and have decided that that will be OK with them, lol! 
One of the sixth graders wanted to know how long I had worked. I told her since my senior year of high school. Crazy to think it's been so long! Then she asked how old I am. Apparently, I'm older than her mother, but younger than her friend's mom who is ten years older, lol! She also wanted to know if I like Suncrest more than ESHS and was trying to convince me that Suncrest is better, lol! Such silliness! :)

Also, so many people donated supplies to the art classes and I am extremely grateful to all of them! We are going to have some fun using all of our new supplies.