Friday, September 3, 2010

Room 120

Welcome to room 120, the Art Room! I'm not sure what I'll have them call me yet. Miss Elaine? or Miss (insert last name)? or maybe just "Teacher" to the younger students.*

It's so dirty right now! After school, I went over and organized it some.** I also printed the art core curriculum from the state for better reference.

All of the pictures are what the room looked like before I moved things around, except for the very bottom right picture. The stack of boxes was standing in the middle of the room. The bottom right picture is how I configured the tables, for now anyway - I'm expecting 20-23 students/class. With this configuration, there is a lot of space in the middle for stretching out during music time. The principal mentioned again this morning that the PE teacher teaches music, so I'm not sure whether I'll be teaching music or not (I'd be OK with sticking solely with art!). The map on the wall is really old - it still has Russia labeled as the USSR! Tuesday will be my first official day in the school with students. It all feels so surreal!



*One of the 3/4 year olds that I teach on Sundays has decided that I'm her teacher. This past Sunday, she told the actual teacher (I'm the assistant) that she was going to go sit with her teacher (me). I wonder who she thinks the actually teachers are? Anyway, she wanted to know what my name is. I told her and now she calls me Sister Squiglin, lol! The teacher thought it was funny too.

** This morning, I picked up the keys! The principal is beyond excited for me to start and wishes he could hire me full-time! Apparently, the librarian is also glad that I'm going to be teaching art so she doesn't have to, lol! He told the technology teacher that he's excited because I'll teach "deep" art. I find that kinda funny! Basically, he's tired of printed coloring pages and silly crafts.